The Life Of A Light Sleeper
Are you a light sleeper or want to know what a light sleeper is? A light is someone who wakes relatively easily and even someone stepping into their room or trying to quietly walk around wakes them up. The slightest change in environment can disturb their already light sleep. Did you know that even a change in odours can cause a light sleeper to sit upright.
Being a light sleeper has both it’s pros and cons, you won’t have any problems like your alarm failing to wake you up, or someone sneaking up on you for a prank would have a hard time. Although the cons of being a light sleeper far outweigh the perks.
Light sleepers usually have difficulty in attaining a good night’s sleep. This has a direct relation with them not being able to sleep through the little disturbances present all around us. Prolonged sleepless nights can have some adverse effects on your health. These effects range from not being productive to being tired all the time and not having enough energy for anything.
So what makes light sleepers, light sleepers?
Heavy sleepers are almost never influenced by external stimuli but light sleepers can almost never tolerate a disturbance without waking up. There are a lot of factors that influence the depth of sleep in a person. Following are some of the factors:
- Probable sleep disorders.
- High level of anxiety.
- Lifestyle choices such as consuming too much caffeine, not taking naps during the day, etc.
- Brain wave activity during sleep.
- Less than optimal bed sheets quality.
What are the stages of sleep?
Sleep can be divided into 4 stages based on the brain activity during each of them.
- Stages 1-3 are non-random eye movement (NREM) sleep, also called quiet sleep.
- Stage 4 is random eye movement (REM) sleep, also known as paradoxical sleep due to the rapid movements of the eyes.
Each of these stages is extremely important to a healthy life. Some of these stages are associated with getting you ready for the day. When light sleepers wake up, it interrupts their perfect cycle of sleep. This may result in them missing out on getting sufficient amounts of the more reparative stages of sleep like random eye movement sleep (REM). This makes them feel sleep deprived even when they think they slept for an adequate time.
Things to do to improve sleep.
- Follow great sleep hygiene.
- Sleep and wake up at the same time each day. This includes weekends too.
- Sleep no longer than 30-60 minutes in the evening. The more you sleep the later you’ll be sleeping since this makes it harder to fall asleep earlier.
- Use a blue light filter or avoid using your mobile and laptop at least 30 minutes before going to sleep.
- You also need to limit your caffeine intake all day.
- Turn off the lights to create a cool, dusky environment.
- Reduce the stress
- Try some relaxation methods like meditation and yoga.
- If you think you’re unnecessarily stressed then you should see a mental health professional.
- Block out all light and sound
- Use some ear plugs or eye masks if there is a lot of disturbance in your area. You need to create the perfect sleeping environment.
- You can have the doctor prescribe you some medicine
Light sleeping is not the same as having insomnia and you don’t need heavy sedatives to treat it. However certain medications can help you sleep better, if prescribed by the physician. In some cases, a doctor may prescribe you medication to help you stay asleep. Certain medications can have really serious complications and should only be used as prescribed.
If you feel like your light sleeping stems from some underlying condition then you should get it checked from a doctor, they’ll either diagnose you, declare you fit or refer you to a certain specialist. They can also make recommendations according to your medical history.
Bedding in sleep quality
Quality bedding has been known to contribute to the quality of sleep. Deep sleep can be achieved with high quality comfortable bed sheets and comforters. Bedding like bed sheets have always been an integral part of night time routine but today they have become a factor in contributing to a person's sleep. Pure cotton bed sheets that you can shop during online shopping in Pakistan can be a great asset to people who have difficulty falling asleep.
SEJ is a leading bedding store that offers high quality bedding and accessories via online shopping in Pakistan. Cotton bed sheets, comforters and duvet covers are a part of their great collection. It’s a startup with a great collection of bed sheets in Pakistan. So head over to their website and shop your hearts out. Stock up on their bedding.